Optimising your website to appear higher on Google is no easy task!
There are hundreds of factors that determine your position and even more terms and phrases you won’t know the meaning of that you’ll hear along the way.
We have created this handy info graphic along with this list of ten important things that you will need to know about SEO to improve your results in the search pages of major search engines.
1. DESCRIPTION + KEYWORDS + META TAGS… No impact on your Google ranking what soever, so don’t be fooled or distracted by these. The description meta tag can impact on your click through rate from search results that you come up in, so a well written one (if you have one at all) is essential.
2. UNIQUE CONTENT… Is your website is running low on unique content then you website ranking in the search results will suffer. Your website requires good quality unique content to rank highly for your chosen keywords. Google love good quality unique content.
3. BLOGGING… Blogging is very important these days, it is a great way of broadcasting your messages to the world via the internet. You need to have something to say, something unique that people want to hear and through this blogging you can increase you brand awareness on the internet.
3. WEBMASTER TOOLS… You should stop by webmaster tools, where you can check on the state of your own website. You can use it to look for errors on your site, unnatural links and any other such errors on your site which you wouldn’t want affecting your website and how it ranks on the search engines.
4. SITE MAP… We all get lost from time to time and it is no different when trying to navigate a website. The site map is a great way to help users find what they are looking for on your site, it is also a great way to help search engines index your whole site and to make sure they don’t miss any pages. Make sure that your sitemap is up to date at all times.
5. DIRECTORY SUBMISSIONS… Directories may not be as relevant as they once were in a time gone by but some are still worth looking at and worth using to index your site if they are in your niche or relevant to your site.
6. ON PAGE SEO… You would not dream of using a car without being familiar with its workings and doing some simple checks, on page SEO is the same, you should do a thorough check of your own website to check that you have covered all the basics, such as duplicate content, hidden text, unnecessary code and more.
7. SOCIAL MEDIA INTEGRATION… You should make sure that you advertise on your site your social media accounts and make sure they are integrated with your website properly to help with your SEO. Social media is fast becomes a major factor in search engine ranking.
8. RESPONSIVENESS… Imagine how many of your friends have a mobile phone, now imagine how many of your friends use the internet on their mobile phone. Now you realise why a website that is fully responsive is fast becoming more and more important by the day, as mobile internet use is rising by the day.
9. PAID LINKS… Don’t make the mistake of thinking that this will improve your websites SEO and help you rank better in search results. Paid links are against Google’s TOS and can severely harm you websites ranking.
10. KEYWORDS… Keywords and key phrases are a vital part of how people will find your site through search engines, make sure you do your research properly prior to determining what keywords and key phrases to base our site on.