Optimising a website to appear higher on the Google ladder is no easy task!
There are hundreds of factors that determine your position and even more terms and phrases you won’t know the meaning of that you’ll hear along the way.
1. DESCRIPTION & KEYWORDS & META TAGS… These have no impact on your Google ranking, so don’t be distracted by these. The description meta tag can impact your click through rate from search results that you come up in, so a well written one is essential.
2. UNIQUE WEBSITE CONTENT… If your website is running low on unique content then your ranking in the search results will suffer. Your website requires good quality unique content to rank highly for your chosen keywords. Google love good quality unique content and you will benefit greatly for this.
3. WEBSITE BLOG… Blogging is very important these days, it is a great way of broadcasting your messages to the world. You need to have something to say, something unique that people want to hear and through this blogging you can increase you brand awareness on the internet and create a circle of follower and visitors to your site.
3. WEBMASTER TOOLS… You should use webmaster tools where you can check on the state of your website. You can use it to look for errors on your site which you wouldn’t want affecting your website and how it ranks on the search engines.
4. A SITE MAP… The site map is a way to help users find what they are looking for on your site, it is also great to help search engines index your whole site and to make sure they don’t miss any pages. Make sure that your sitemap is up to date at all times.
5. DIRECTORY SUBMISSIONS… Directories may not be as relevant as they once were but some are still worth looking at and worth using to index your site if they are in your niche.
6. ON PAGE SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION… You should do a thorough check of your own website to check that you have covered all the basics, such as duplicate content, hidden text, unnecessary code and more.
7. SOCIAL MEDIA INTEGRATION… You should make sure you advertise your site on your social media accounts and make sure they are integrated with your website properly to help with your SEO. Social media is fast becomes a major factor in search engine ranking.
8. RESPONSIVENESS… Imagine how many people have a mobile phone, now imagine how many people use the internet on their mobile phone, now imagine how many more will in the future. Now you realise why a website that is responsive is fast becoming more and more important by the day.
9. PAID LINKS… Paid links are against Google’s TERMS OF SERVICE and can severely harm you websites ranking.
10. KEYWORDS… Keywords and key phrases are a vital part of how people find your site through search engines, make sure you do your research properly prior to determining what keywords and key phrases to use on your site.