Embarking upon the task on choosing a web designer in the UK can be a difficult task.
The problem you will face when trying to choose a web designer to make your vision into reality is a massive one. It is a minefield of web designers, many will only care about the money you provide for them and not the service they provide for you.
1. RESEARCH… You should first research what type of web design you need, weather it be a simple portfolio site or a full blown eCommerce online shop. You should then research websites yourself so you have a basic knowledge of what your website should need.
2. PRICING… There are a wide range of prices for website design services. You should always be careful of a designer who offers to build you a site for a cheap price. Website design is not a simple process, the website should match your brand. The old saying is true “you get what you pay for”.
3. INVESTIGATE YOUR CHOSEN DESIGNER… Once you have found a designer you like with a reasonable price, you should research that designer. Take a look through their own website, be sure their website is fully functional and matches their brand with a nice design. Remember that is their own site is not very impressive, what is the likelihood yours will be?
4. THE PLATFORM… There are a wide range web designing platforms available now to designers. You should check with the company you have chosen to see how they will build your site. The best way forward for you would be to use a popular CMS (content management system) like WordPress or Joomla, always be wary of a company that uses their own CMS system to build your site as this means that your are then locked to this company for as long as you use your site and they can charge you as much money as they want for hosting. Whereas if you use a popular CMS then your can move your site to another hosting company if for some reason you fall out with your Chosen Designer.
5. AVAILABILITY… Remember that a webdesign company that is not busy, is not busy for a reason. A good website design agency will be booked up for weeks and maybe even months. You should always check who will be looking after your site and how available they will be for you to get hold of in case you need to amend something that is out of your own capability.
6. HIDDEN COSTS… Some agencies will charge you a cheap price for building your website but then will add on hidden fees that they did not tell you about at the beginning that will shoot the price right up.
5. CODING STANDARDS…
Does the site meet the W3C. What browsers does the web agency test in? It’s important that you’re site be developed to the best standard, best practice is to ensure all sites are DDA compliant and built to W3C guidelines, meaning your site will be accessible to all.